Friday, September 26, 2025

Exit Slip - Matching Colors and Making Ropes, Sept. 25th


The first activity we did today was color matching. The picture here shows the the best match I found today. Surprisingly, I found the match from a tiny carpel (I think that's the carpel?), rather than from a leaf or a stem. 

This activity remind me of the active mindset we want to have in learning. With the privilege of being sighted and being somewhat sensitive to colors, I know colors. But most of the time I look at them passively. This color-matching activity allowed me to actively sense, identify, and distinguish between colors. 

For the second activity, I was devoted into making a rope with corn husks. I just love the faint green color it has. And I also used some brown-highlighted husk to add-on some marbling to the rope. 

It was quite challenging to make the the bundles to have even thickness, as the husks all have different width and thickness. On the rope I made today, there are a few spots where one of the two strands is kind of too thin, which may lead to breakup if we put to much tension into it. 

I thought, if I was using some manufactured materials to make rope, it would probably be a lot easier to make the thickness even, but then, I wouldn't be elaborately choosing each husk I add into my rope. The selecting process was actually a lot of fun - I started with getting a sense of the thickness of the strand I have, and then think about how much volume I want to add to it, and then look for that in the bucket. Of course I didn't know these at the beginning. I taught myself through practice.  

From our discussion, I really liked Danielle's idea of knowing how things were made allow us to value what we have. There's just a lot to learn. 

And overall, I was reminded that, we want to bring reconciliation to education by providing students with, not merely the history or knowledge, but also with plenty of positive experiences, just like what we gained today. 



No comments:

Post a Comment