Thursday, December 11, 2025

Inquiry Project - Reflection

Math journal, or journal writing in a class other than language class, wasn't apart of my high school experience. Therefore, math journal was a new topic to me, and there was things to learn. As I addressed in the proposal, I chose this topic because I had positive experience in mitigating anxiety and improve management by writing. I brought my passion into this topic, particularly because I love writing journal and I want to preach, to my future student and to my peers in the cohort. 

Overall, I think I gained through this inquiry project. I learned about how may math journal be implemented in a classroom, which is self-evidently practical and valuable to me, a future teacher.  

One particular thing I learn when doing the research was that, scholarly papers usually focus on something measurable, for example, comparing the result of survey and test from a class writing math journal to another class not writing it. On the other hand, other sources (typically blog or YouTube) provide sharing of a teacher's practice and suggestions. Both type of sources provide great stuff, however, I couldn't find any resource focused on "how teachers practice it". I wonder if that gap is common in the field of education. 

------

After the presentation today, Patrick told me that when he research on his topic, math anxiety, many papers talked about math journal, and he think I chose a wonderful topic. That validation from him made me felt so rewarded. 

Moreover, there was two other TCs who came to me and showed me their product from the 5 min journal writing activity. I think they enjoyed it! That just makes happy. 

Frankly saying, near the end of the research process, my passion to the topic reduced quite a bit. I don't see how can I dig deeper into math journal. For the coming inquiry 2, I want to shift to a new topic that hopefully connect to math journal in some ways. A topic on my mind right now is "joy pedagogy". Well, we will see. :)

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, Sissie -- you can stretch and change your topic for Inquiry 2 as needed, in consultation with your instructor, Fay!

    ReplyDelete