Wednesday, September 10, 2025

Entrance Slip - On Being a Reflective Teacher, Sep. 11th

Despite that the article was written decades ago, the major arguments about what does it mean by being a reflective teacher presented there are definitely still applicable. Particularly, the article mentioned, "there is clearly such as thing as too much thinking, as when a person finds it difficult to reach any definite conclusion", which I resonate deeply, as I have always been "less-spontaneous" and "think too much" in all kinds of situations. I guess a teacher, or a member of community, must first be a practitioner, and hence be reflective. In another word, as the article has point out, a reflective teacher should have balanced intuitive actions and reflection. Another very important take-a-way I got from the article is that, one way of getting the most out of the upcoming practicum is to actively learn and (politely) question the reasons behind the existing patterns and structure.

And as to answer whether being a reflective teacher is desirable to me, my personal goal is to make my job fun (or at least not miserable), so a certain extent of reflective effort is definitely needed. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to think about balancing practice with (over) thinking! Thanks for this thoughtful commentary, Sissie!

    ReplyDelete