Here, I'm going to be addressing to the sketching and sensing activity we did today. I had some really great time standing in the garden and sketching. I enjoyed the morning air, I enjoyed the plants and nature, and I enjoyed the quiet presence of my peers.
When I was sketching, I had the term "juxtaposition" in my mind. The task was to draw two things (or I shall say this was my interpretation to the task), and I chose them to be a pear tree and a garden trolley. They were both in a same frame of scenery from my point of view, and there was no clear boundary between them, as many branches and leaves of the pear tree was blocking the trolley, while the trolley was also loaded with branches of pear tree. If I draw the tree and the trolley as a single picture, the trolley would be small and marginalised in the picture. But I felt like I have to present these two items so that they have equal presence. And I did so. And this action involved cutting them out from the surrounding, then put them beside each other on a paper. This process made me think of making a collage or creating a juxtaposition.Later during our sharing & discussion, I found out that many of us had their sketch presenting a single integrated picture instead of showing individual items. And Jimena mentioned about how the trees she sketched are inter-connected. These
made me think about how could I approach the pear tree and the trolley differently, while giving both of them focus and presence.
----
An extra little extension: Making connection to teaching, how should I perceive "a class of student"? Considering them as unique individuals who were structurally and physically fit into the same class/classroom? Or as a blended whole? I guess different perception would lead to different teaching approaches.

No comments:
Post a Comment